The Radnor Hall Players

Welcome to Odstock.communities!

Odstock, Nunton and Bodenham Grand Fête Schedule of Events, Saturday, 8th July 2017
Click here for a Schedule of Events

In 1942 the British Government built an Emergency Medical Services Hospital on the hill to the North of Odstock Village. From 1943 this was used by the United States 5th Army Medical Corps and provided support for the Normandy landings in 1944. With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948, Odstock Hospital was selected to house the new regional Plastic and Oral Surgery Centre providing care for patients in five counties.

This was a defining moment because Odstock became known worldwide as a centre of excellence and teaching for Plastic Surgery. In 1967 the New Burns Unit was opened, but, since 1993, with the closure of the Salisbury Infirmary, 'Odstock' has not featured in the title of Salisbury's District Hospital.
Information source: 'Celebrating Salisbury Nurses: A Series of Personal Reflections and Stories' by Marie Stride



The Wiltshire Ring
This site is part of the Wiltshire Ring network
Previous 5 | Previous | Next | Next 5 | List | Random
Visit Odstock at
UKVillages.co.uk
Wiltshire WebRing - Oct-06 > [ Ring Hub | << Prev | Next >> | Next 5 > ]
Copyright © 2000-2017
All rights reserved.
SouthWilts.com - Click here
Last revised: 16-Feb-2017